Friday, August 3, 2018

The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah


I went into this book with high hopes: I loved Hannah's last book, The Nightingale, and while that's the only other thing of hers I've read, it made me want to read everything she's written.  I also loved The Snow Child, by Eowyn Ivey, which has a lot of similarities to this one.  This book seemed like it would be a perfect fit, but I walked away from it feeling . . . meh.
The Great Alone follows Leni from the time she's an awkward 13-year old all the way into her adulthood.  Leni's father, Ernt, was a soldier in Vietnam, and he came back very different than how he left.  While today we would call it PTSD, there weren't names or good treatments for what Leni's father experienced back then.  Ernt is always uprooting his family in the hopes that wherever they settle next will be the place where he can feel normal.  Which takes them to a small town in Alaska.
            If you don't know, Alaska is not for the faint of heart, especially this small town where Leni's family settles.  They have to kill and grow their own food, basically rebuild their entire house, and adapt to living somewhere that is dark most of the day and way, way below zero in the winter.  Needless to say, these winter circumstances are not good for Leni's dad.
            But Leni and her mother manage to make friends in the town; most importantly, Leni befriends a boy her age, Matthew, and they become best friends.  But when tragedy hits Matthew's family, he moves away, leaving Leni more alone then ever.
            I don't want to give too much away about the story, because the twists and turns, mirrored by Alaska's wildness, is one of the enjoyable things about this novel.  While some of it felt too predictable, there were a few great surprises along the way.
            My main issue with the story, though, was with the main character.  Leni starts off shy and insecure, which makes sense—she's 13, after all, and lives with an unstable father, a mother who puts up with too much, and she doesn't have any friends.  As she becomes an older teenager, she seems to find some personality and strength—but then, when she's an adult, I felt like all that disappeared and she started making some really bad decisions.  I wanted her to take charge of her life, the way she seemed to be learning to do in Alaska, but she felt flat and at times kind of pathetic to me. 
            My other criticism is that the book is really long, and by the last third the story felt too stretched out.  Things just kept happening, and I wanted to get some kind of resolution.
            Overall?  This isn't a book I'll be telling a lot of my friends to read, but I see why a lot of people do like it.  Because it is so event-heavy, it might draw in some people who don't read as much but are looking for a less-fluffy summer read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Research with Amazing Animals

Name: Amazing Animals Research Unit Skills: Research, Taking Notes, Print and Digital Sources Resources: Amazing Animals Research Guide , Cu...