Friday, August 3, 2018

Surprise Me by Sophie Kinsella


           If you've read any of Sophie Kinsella's other books, you probably have a good idea what to expect from them: a fun, smart, sometimes ditzy female protagonist; some crazy situation said protagonist has to find a way out of; lots of hijinks; and, of course, romance.  And even though her books all tick those boxes, they're still fun.
            Confession: the only other Kinsella book I've read all the way through is My (Not So) Perfect Life, which was great.  I've had a harder time getting into her other books, but I was excited to try this one because a) it looked fun, and b) I read that it was more similar to Big Little Lies than to Kinsella's other books.
            Surprise Me didn't have the Big Little Lies vibe that appealed to me—I can see what that reviewer was saying, but the two books still feel completely separate to me.  In Surprise Me, Sylvie and Dan are happily married, have twin girls, and think they are totally in-sync.  Then they get told at their annual physicals that they probably have about 68 more years to live.  Good news, right?  Instead, it sends Sylvie and Dan into a tailspin as they try to figure out how to make their lives more exciting if they're going to be together for 68 more years . . . and their idea is that they're going to try to surprise each other.
            The surprises, of course, turn out to not quite go as planned (lots of hijinks!), and some of them end well and others don't.  The really compelling part of the story, though, is the plotline around Sylvie and her late father, whom she idolizes and Dan seems kind of . . . meh about (that might be putting it kindly).  This is the part that draws the Big Little Lies comparisons, and I thought it was excellently-done: the reader knows something is up with Sylvie's father, but they're not sure of what.  It kept me flipping pages (I actually skipped a chunk to read the ending, which I've never done before . . . Sylvie and Dan's surprises were fun, but I enjoyed them more when I knew how all the big stuff resolved).  I loved seeing how some seemingly loose ends and extra details were all tied in together at the end.  The book doesn't end with a perfect bow where you feel like everyone's life is going to be so easy, but with plenty enough resolved.
            This is a great summer read; I think it'd be perfect at the beach.  The cover art is also absolutely adorable, and I loved displaying it on my bookshelf.
            The bottom line?  Would recommend to women for a fun, light read, and for anyone who wants a perfect display book.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Research with Amazing Animals

Name: Amazing Animals Research Unit Skills: Research, Taking Notes, Print and Digital Sources Resources: Amazing Animals Research Guide , Cu...